What business are we in? You would think business partners would discuss this question. Roger Dooley can tell you it’s not that obvious.
Roger is the author of Brainfluence and The Persuasion Slide. He started in the corporate world and left after starting his first business. Roger and his partner both understood their business and worked smoothly together.
They understood they were in the direct marketing business selling computers and electronic items. When they brought on another partner things changed.
The business changed. People changed. And that’s the story we talk about in today’s show.
Here’s what Roger shares:
- How partners need to identify what the business is about, first and foremost.
- Why Roger’s new partner thought they were in the computer business and how that clashed.
- Why it’s important to understand this difference.
- Why direct marketers understand the “bet” you take before your marketing hits the mail.
- When it’s important to bring on a new partner and why they thought it was important.
- How risk aversion is rampant among managers in business, and why that’s not a good thing.
- What happens when vendors and suppliers pull out of your market.
- Why it’s important to stop, step back, and ask, “Is this the best way to run our business?”
- Why most managers are too inflexible.
- Why conversations with your partners are difficult and what you need to do to make sure it happens.
- How you get blinded with your day-to-day activities.
- Why Roger said his inventory could, “Go rotten faster than a bunch of yellow bananas.”
- Why Roger finds being an entrepreneur so rewarding.
- Why he finds it difficult to focus on his writing while traveling.
- Why Roger asked, “Why is it so hard to raise capital as an entrepreneur yet con artists are able to do it without any problem?”
- Why managers do enough to satisfy expectations but not go beyond those expectations.
Enjoy The Show:
Mentioned In This Show:
- NeuroMarketing Blog
- Brainy Marketing on the Forbes blog
- On Twitter: @RogerDooley
- Book: Brainfluence by Roger Dooley
- Book: The Persuasion Slide by Roger Dooley
- Book: The Confidence Game: Why We Fall for It . . . Every Time by Maria Konnikova
- Book: Persuadable: How Great Leaders Change Their Minds to Change the World by Al Pittampalli